Opioid Training Institute
The Opioid Training Institute would like to invite health care providers to attend and learn more about the opioid crisis and its impact on Alabamians. Attendees will learn about Opioid Use Disorder and what role they play in preventing new instances. Practitioners will also learn about drug misuse and abuse and best practices when it comes to drug diversion, treatment, and how to work with other health care professionals in addressing the problem.
For more information, call 334-844-8371 or email email@example.com.
Continuing education credit will be available for:
- Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
- Physicians (pending)
- Dentists and Dental Hygienists
- Nurse Practitioners (pending)
- Define OUD
- Describe current opioid prescribing, abuse, and overdose trends in Alabama
- Identify common coexisting mental health conditions associated with OUD
- Describe the impact of coexisting mental health conditions on OUD
- Discuss appropriate screening for coexisting mental health conditions
- Identify common risk mitigation strategies including but not limited to use of PDMP, abuse risk screening tools, urine drug screening, patient informed consent, opioid agreements, pill counts, appropriate controlled substance storage and disposal, and communication
- Discuss benefits and challenges to each strategy
- Differentiate appropriate use of each strategy
- Define pain including distinction of acute versus chronic pain syndromes
- Discuss use of pain assessment tools in opioid naive patients and opioid experienced patients
- Describe a multi-modal pain treatment approach
- Review pros/cons for available non-opioid treatment options for pain
- Explain appropriate use of opioids in the treatment of pain
- Discuss provider implemented strategies to ensure safe and effective pain management for patients in addiction recovery
- Demonstrate best practices in pain management, avoidance of addiction/diversion, and collaboration among healthcare providers
- Identify collaboration opportunities and barriers among healthcare providers
- Describe best practices in improving collaboration and overcoming communication barriers
- Define medication assisted therapy
- Discuss medications to treat OUD
- Describe behavioral therapies to treat opioid use disorder
- Discuss the role of mental health disorder treatment in the treatment of OUD
- Demonstrate best practices in use of medication assisted therapy
- Identify resources available for those with OUD
- Explain how healthcare providers gain patient access to treatment resources
- Describe challenges and barriers for patients with OUD to receive resources
- Demonstrate best practices for successful use of state resources and admission to treatment facilities
- Discuss the importance of incorporating social workers in the process
|8:00-8:10am||Welcome & Introduction|
|8:10-9:10am||Opioid Use Disorder & Mental Health|
|9:10-10:10am||Risk Mitigation Strategies|
|10:20-11:20am||Pain Management v. Diversion Part 1|
|11:20am-12:20pm||LUNCH BREAK (ON YOUR OWN)|
|12:20-1:20pm||Pain Management v. Diversion Part 2|
|1:20-1:50pm||Collaboration and Communication|
|2:00-3:00pm||Medicated Assisted Therapy|
|3:00-4:00pm||OUD Treatment Facilities & State Resources|
Shuttle Service is available to and from each airport. Call 251-990-6370 for prices and to make a reservation.
17855 Scenic Hwy 98, Fairhope, Alabama 36532
Mobile Regional Airport
Estimated Travel Time: 41.2 mi, 54 min driving
8400 Airport Blvd, Mobile, AL 36608
- Depart Airport Blvd / CR-56 W toward Joseph Drawns Dr -6.9 mi
- Take ramp right and follow signs for I-65 South- 3.1 mi
- Keep left toward I-10 E- 0.7 mi
- Keep straight onto I-10 E-14.1 mi
- At exit 35A, take ramp right for US-98 toward Fairhope / Daphne-0.3 mi
- Turn right onto US-98 E / AL-42 E
- Bear right onto US-98 / AL-42 / N Greeno -2.1 mi
- Bear right onto US-98 S / AL-42 S / S Greeno Rd-1.7 mi
- Turn right onto CR-32-1.9 mi
- Turn right onto US-98 ALT / Scenic Highway 98-1.3 mi
- Arrive at near 17847 US-98 ALT, Fairhope, AL 3653
Pensacola Regional Airport:
Estimated Travel Time: 64.7 mi, 1 hr 13 min driving
2430 Airport Blvd, Pensacola, FL 32504
- From Airport Terminal go straight onto Airport Boulevard.
- Go approximately 3 miles to I-110 North, exit is on right.
- Take I-110 North to I-10 West.
- Will be on I-10 West approximately 40 miles.
- Take Exit 35, Highway 98.
- Go left heading South on Hwy 98 approximately 8 miles to the “Welcome to Fairhope” sign.
- Veer right onto Scenic 98 (Section St.) to Fairhope Avenue (4th traffic light).
- Turn right onto Fairhope Avenue to South Mobile Street.
- Take Mobile Street 3 miles to Hotel, on your right.
The H.L. Sonny Callahan Airport in Fairhope is located 4 miles and 10 minute drive from the Grand Hotel. This airport can be utilized for corporate and private jets.
Attendees may wish to bring a laptop/tablet to view presentations online as the presenter speaks.
It is not required, but AUHSOP suggests bringing a jacket or sweater if you get cold easily. Large ballrooms tend to get colder throughout the day.